Friday 6 October 2017

JefferStow's Road to the Marathon: Post 5: M.O.T.I.V.A.T.I.O.N.

I write this ironically from my sick bed after barely being able to run for five minutes in the entire week, but over the last 3 months I've ticked off my main goals so I'm ready to kick ass for the next 3 months, so I thought I'd write an exciting acrostic blog with some times on how I have motivated myself, in the hope that you - average citizen - can be motivated too.

( It doesn't fit in the acrostic but getting money on my page is also a huge motivator https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/jefferstow-runs-the-marathon )

Musicals - I have posted about this a million times but part of enjoying exercise is finding the right soundtrack. I would wager 90% of the reason exercise classes are so successful is not because of the carefully planned out routine or the over enthusiastic instructor at the front, but the kick ass sound track that goes along with it.
Maybe musical soundtracks aren't for everyone, but if you listen to a show from beginning to end, not only can you lose yourself in a STORY but there are natural ebbs and flows to the music that will help pick you up when everything starts to hurt. Most musicals also have a cheesy positive message about achieving your dreams... and all without except have tracks with an incredible tempo to run to. If you don't believe me - give it a try. My go-tos are Book of Mormon, Hamilton and Legally Blonde as a place to start... try it.


Out do yourself - Competition is very important in exercise, but can also be very dangerous. If you go to the gym with a buddy, or perhaps even feel like you need to be working faster/harder/stronger than the guy next to you in the gym, you risk being distracted from knowing your own limits and knowing what your body actually needs. 
What you need to do is to out do yourself. Keep track of your progress and do better next time. You won't always manage it but sometimes you will, and my gosh does it feel good. My method so far has been adding one mile to my runs each week, then running that distance until I'm running sub-10 minute miles. All of a sudden on my first crack I did 5 miles in under 50 minutes and then 6.2 miles (10k) in 59 minutes. In my exhausted state I felt such joy and running these times I sweatily punched the air and screamed for joy in the middle of the street. There is no feeling like it, because the only person who you can compare your ability to is you. Every is a different time, shape, have different commitments, different responsibilities... different metabolisms.... You can't compare so stop trying.


Timetable - it might be a bit OCD but you absolutely need a timetable and you need to stick to it - which means first of all you have to be realistic about your time and recovery. I have very little time in the week, but weekends are wider open, so I have to do a lot of my heavy work three days in a row...but Monday-Thursday I relax, stretch and swim to get my body ready for the next battering. After getting a realistic time table in place (which also meant accepting I would never ever get up at 5am to exercise on a Monday) it hasn't been a chore to stick to, and after 6 weeks it felt natural to get up and do what was on the list every day.

Intervals - I'd never attempted intervals before because, well I'm not a personal trainer and I don't know how things work, but I have been doing interval training for the last 3 months and it has been incredible. To begin with I thought just running for 20 minutes would feel pointless, but slowly but surely I built up to 40 minutes running, and increased my speed as well. I now have 3 different types of interval training I can mix up so I won't get bored, and even though it still feels like I should be running longer distances, this has done wonders for my speed and stamina and I can already feel how much stronger I am

Value - There has to be value in what you're doing. You need to know why you need to be motivated. It needs to be more than getting fitter or losing weight, there has to be a goal and there has to be a personal reason for it - something that gets you up in the morning, that pushes you to the next level, that makes you want to try harder. For me to begin with it has been raising money for a charity close to my heart... but now I am starting to achieve more I am overwhelmed by the urge to better myself and improve everything against myself. With this double sided motivation to raise money and to do myself proud, I have been feeling unstoppable. Until I got the flu. 

Anger - This isn't something I've been using recently but have found in the past that exercising while angry is incredibly motivating and helpful. I don't think you'll necessarily have your best session but if you do something like run, which hurts and fills your entire brain, you can escape. If you use the hormones anger produces for moving your legs, you're making good use of them and they'll soon be replaced by endorphins which will help you melt the anger before it eats you alive or you shout at someone you should. Sometimes even the frustration of exercise is motivating and I'm sure I've freaked a good few people how shouting "you can do this you fat cow" at myself whilst willing myself not to stop and walk (literally not joking. I'm mean to myself when I run). So next time you've had a bad day at work, put your trainers on a get on it.

Time out - There is nothing wrong with stopping and letting yourself rest. In your weekly time table and from time to time as well. Don't beat yourself up if you have a late one on a Thursday and can't get up on the Friday, or if you have plans on a Sunday night so can't do your regular run. I've done this a few times in the last few months and it hasn't been to my detriment, and in fact its stopped me from having rubbish sessions when I wasn't 100% on it as well. Luckily I got ill on a week I was planning to take easy anyway... Maybe that's why I got ill?! But weirdly letting myself have a week apart has made me super eager to get back on it. I don't think I've ever felt like that before #whoevenami

Instagram, Facebook and Tweet - I'm a huge fan of the old joke that you don't burn calories unless you post about it. This comes from people who constantly tag themselves in at the gym when you're sitting at home stuffing your face with pizza and watching Netflix. You roll your eyes at the person having less fun than you and who feels like they need to make you feel bad about your slobbish state.  HOWEVER - don't knock a good social media brag about your progress. Not only will you get likes and comments congratulating you (which feels great and you shouldn't be ashamed of that), but in the future you'll be able to see that and look back on how far you've come. Not long ago, after swimming 50 lengths in 33 minutes, I saw a post from 6 years ago where I was super chuffed to have swum the same distance in 50 minutes. Of course this isn't something I've worked tirelessly on for the last 6 years, but for someone who never got past her 25m swimming badge at school, this is is an incredible personal achievement, and I would never remembers how slowly I was swimming when I first started 6 years ago. 

Outfit - don't underestimate the power of a good work-out outfit. I've recently branched out into spending slightly more money on work out clothes and it has made a difference. I now have some awesome royal blue floral pants that go so well with my MND vest... which makes me happier to put it on, to be in public in it, and therefore gives me a more positive mindset when I get out on a run. Being comfortable is important, looking good and feeling good is important. The right trainers are important - not just for support but because of how they look and make you feel. I personally hate white trainers, so even if they were the most comfortable shoes in the world I wouldn't feel right in them and would want the bright pink alternative. I highly recommend getting a few pieces that you love and feel good on you when you exercise, 


Never give up - you can do this. You're awesome and gorgeous and capable. I promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment