Saturday 29 September 2012

My soundtrack to your gym

I have found that listening to my own music helps infinitely with my motivation. And these are the things that help the most:

1. Britney Spears - Stronger

Partly because it reminds me of my housemate, Ronald, but also because it is genuinely motivating. Yes, I am stronger than yesterday, it is nothing but my way and loneliness will never kill me again mofos! I arm cycled for ten minutes straight with this one on repeat.

2. Hadouken - Dance Lesson

In fact, most things by Hadouken. But it's just got just the right level of beat and loud to make you feel the urge to keep time.

3. Jason Mraz - I'm Yours

Ooh... Curve Ball. This one is good for weights, he has a nice, tender, tone that makes you relax and forget the fact your muscles feel like they're about to explode out of your skin.

4. Anything from the 90s

Five, Back Street boys, N Sync and Steps work particularly well. I think it's because the 90s is when music was good and wasn't was mostly not about sex, and never about "whistle blowing". Plus they always sound cheerful, and who doesn't need to be cheerful in the gym.

5. Hans Zimmer - Pirates of the Caribbean

The ultimate. There is no music better than this. Even in daily life when this comes on my mp3 player I feel EPIC. It makes even the smallest of achievements seem incredible, from getting milk out the fridge to cycling 6 km.


Things that do not help:

1. Anything from a musical

Yes, they do possess many of the above qualities, but resisting the urge to sing not only is very distracting, but when you forget it is particularly embarrassing.

2. Joss Stone

Quite frankly, she doesn't help anything; but especially not gym motivation.

3. The Killers - Mr Brightside

I love this song as much as the next 20-24 year old at the end of a night out. But that, unfortunately, is where that song belongs, and has no place in the gym.

1 comment:

  1. The last 90 seconds of Defying Gravity. Too vocally challenging to sing along to whilst exercising and you'll feel epic.

    ReplyDelete