Tuesday 18 December 2012

On the second gym of Christmas, Virgin gave to me... Will Power and Grace™

Two things I have very little of.

This class is new, to me, because it has literally never been listed as a class online or on the wall timetable - yet apparently it's been running for a year and today was the last day to try it. Lucky me, eh?

The online picture gave it three sweat drops, so I figured it would be tough. And I was not disappointed.

There were only four of us taking the class, which apparently is the magic number for breaking down the fourth wall. One lady told me all I'd need were my bare feet, which luckily I had with me, so I stripped off my trainers and socks and was immediately ashamed of my chipped, green toe nail vanish.

I found a spot between the little pile of mud and a pool of what I hope was not sweat, and waited to "rock and roll" as the instructor chirpily announced.

I'm not sure what I was expected. Possibly a lively, slightly homosexual comedy romp. Possibly an aerobics class with some ab work. But a body conditioning/pilates/ballet class combo was definitely not that. Seriously the instructor must be built like a rock, and she was unbelievably Grace™ful. There were a lot of squats and lunges in there, with extra crazy things like lifting your heels from the floor whilst in the squat position. And something I was actually very good because it resembled when you have both hands on red on a Twister™ mat and then you have to put your  feet on red as well. I never thought my slight obsession with bringing out the Twister™ mat would finally pay off one day.

Being able to see myself in the mirror from various angles (including the the corner of the mirror where the illusion was that my reflection was doing the opposite to me... weird) completely confirmed I have as much Grace™ as an Ent and I certainly lack muscle length in my legs. I'd say my Willpower™ is passable though.

The class got harder and harder and I don't think I've ever experienced happiness like the moment she said "We only have ten minutes left" and I realised it was a 45 minutes class, not a 60 minute class.

At the moment I feel pretty nifty but the chances of me being able to walk tomorrow are virtually zero. Luckily office Christmas party wine will no doubt loosen me up.

Class gets 8/10. It would have got 9 had it not been a ghost class that no longer exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment