Tuesday 7 August 2012

Body condition: Pensioner

Tuesday 7th August - Body Conditioning

What. A. Class.

Admittedly, taking this class 23 hours after walking staggering out of Body Combat yesterday was a massive error, but I still gave it a shot. A sweaty, muscle-weary shot.

The first 25 minutes was a nice body pumping aerobic exercise. The third move of which was...

Wait for it.

GRAPEVINE!! 

Collette and I exchanged a knowing smile at this point, it was going to be a good day. Having jumped about and squatted for nearly half an hour we moved onto hip breaking leg exercises with optional weights. I did try with them to begin with but I opted not to make life harder for myself. The exercise itself wasn't too challenging. Lifting your leg sideways, a few pulses and one leg squats. But when you're about as flexible as an arthritic woolly mammoth, this is definitely far from simple. The lovely instructor (which ginormous bazoombas) assured us you have to overload a muscle to make it work, so maybe the fact I could practically feel my hip bones grinding together is a good thing. After this we moved onto weight exercises, which were fine until we had to drop the weights back behind our arms. I struggled so much she actually asked me if I was okay. That's when you know you need to drop back to the tiny yellow ones.

The last stage of the class was ab exercises. I could barely support my own weight on my elbows and knees at this point but I sort of powered through. 

The warm down was nice and chilled. Until she told us to get into a "froggy position", pulse our arses back and proceeded to make sex noises. Is that what the kids are calling it these days?


 

Then the words "This is a little 50 shades of Grey", "All we need is a clamp" and "Watch out for what's coming behind you" came out of her mouth. I think one day I will make a list of top ten things you don't want to hear at the gym. Guess what will be awarded gold, silver and bronze. Close in fourth is "We need an extra half an hour really..."

Right now, typing on my laptop and holding a cup of tea is all I can manage. I might need to be spoon fed and carried for the rest of the week.

This class gets 10/10. Varied workout and GRAPEVINE give a winning combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment