Sunday 5 August 2012

Just keep swimming

Saturday 4th August - Swimming

I didn't think a blog about swimming would be too interesting, particularly as I assess how good a swim was by how many lengths I do. Yesterday I did 20 in record time, however my usual aim is 30. In my defence I was running out of time but I was also bored. Swimming for me, however, does have a bit of a back story.

I am not a good swimmer by any stretch. I can only boast my 25m badge on my swimming towel and I definitely didn't get to the point where I had to swim in my pyjamas. But I do quite like swimming, particularly with my bad shoulder. However I did have to recently man up and get over my fear of going to swimming pools. Not because I'm scared of donning a cossie or being shown up by 70 year old women who make it into the medium and fast lanes while I doggy paddle in the slow lane. Nope. Because I can't see a thing. Yes, I should probably get contact lenses but they're just not financially viable seeing as I would only wear them for swimming and on stage once or twice a year, so not really worth the money until I am well paid. Taking off my glasses is generally one of the scariest things I have to do. Every new swimming pool also means I have to suss out the route and have a quick nose so I can see in advance which lane and direction I should be aiming for.

So anyway. Virgin swimming pool is actually pretty close to the changing rooms. Once you know where the door is you practically fall straight into the pool when you come out. 

This blog is mostly so I can comment on the absolute dream that is the Virgin swimming pool. It was probably the best pool going experience I have ever had. It isn't over chlorined and sting-y like Runnymeade, and it isn't exposed by glass on two sides like Jubilee. Perfect temperature, too. It's also weirdly dark blue with green stripes, which meant I couldn't see anyone else in my lane after a certain distance but I just trusted they'd be swimming in the right direction and probably see me first. I give swimming there 10/10. I probably won't post any more swimming blogs unless something exciting happens. Or if there is a huge demand to see how many lengths I could be arsed to do this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment